Sunday, September 20, 2020

UK to US Sizing Isn't Always A Direct Conversion

 Many years ago, I tried an Elila bra that I really loved.  At the time, I was a 36FF UK and the direct conversion would have been a 36H since the company uses U.S. sizing.  However, the 36F fit best.  I'm a bit "fluffier" nowadays, to use a term coined by Gabriel Iglesius, so I knew I was no longer either of those sizes.

In the Elomi Morgan, I'm a 40GG.  The direct conversion would be a 40J so I ordered that, a 38J, and a 38I.  Why I didn't also order a 40I, I'm not sure.

I ordered the different sizes so that I'd have sister-sizes to accommodate any need for smaller bands or smaller cups.

38K ---> 40J (40GG UK)

38J ---> 40I (40G UK)

38I ---> 40H (40FF UK)

Here is the 40J.  You can easily see it does NOT fit.  At all.

There was a TON of space in the band.  Lots of wrinkling in the cups
.
Lots of wrinkles at the top of the cup.  I could have put my whole purse in there.

My pinky is covering the underwire.  Yes, my whole hand fits in that unfilled part of the cup.

I loved the charcoal gray color but this clearly doesn't fit so I moved on to the next contender: 38J in a beautiful wine color called Plum.

Still too large in the cup.  The band was a hair snug.

The 38I was the best fit.  If you clicked on the link to the previous blog post (above), you'll see it's the same color as before, just a different size.

No wrinkles in the cups except at the bottom.

You can see the wing is being pulled a smidge but there's no way I could size up any further since we know the 40 band is WAY too big.

The gore is almost completely flat against my sternum.  Part of the separation is because I'm leaning forward for this picture.

When I swoop and scoop, there is a bit of space at the bottom of the cup.

The 38I fit darn near perfect but it was 1/2 inch too tight in the band and, with the boning that is sewn along the wing to prevent rolling, it would be painful to wear in just a matter of an hour or two.

For comparison's sake, I ordered another Elomi Morgan (in 40GG) so that I could be sure I was comparing all new bras.  Here are the pictures of the Elomi:



The takeaway from all this: UK to US sizing is not always a direct conversion when you're comparing different brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment